Archives and Records Management Seminar Being Held Oct. 23September 24th, 2019
The Pennsylvania State Archives has announced that online registration is now live for the Archives and Records Management Seminar, which will be held Wednesday, October 23, 2019.
Registration is free, but must be received by October 21.
Onsite sessions will again take place at the Commonwealth Media Center in Harrisburg, with a live webinar feed streaming simultaneously for online viewing.
The registration form works best in non-IE browsers. If the link above does not work, try pasting this link into Chrome: https://phmc.info/2019ARM
Brief session descriptions below:
Move it: Moving Office or Archival Records
Moving is daunting. Add the responsibility of moving large quantities of important records and it can seem overwhelming. This session will feature discussion from State Library of Pennsylvania staff who moved their administrative offices and records, as well as representatives of both a government and a non-profit archive who moved their invaluable collections.
- Facilitator:Tyler Stump, Archivist, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Archives Move:John Paul Deley, Heinz History Center
- Office move:Beth Bisbano, State Library of Pennsylvania
- Archives Move:Jim Leonard, Philadelphia City Archives
Collaborative Digital Outreach
Digitization is a wonderful tool to promote collections. Collaborating with other institutions not only helps save money, but also lends itself to a greater audience and discoverability.
- PA State Library Power Library:Doreva Belfiore, HSLC
- PACSCL (Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collection Libraries) In Her Own Right Project:Kathryn Antonelli
- Historic Pittsburgh:David Grinnell, University of Pittsburgh
PDF/A Policy: Implementation Roundtable
It has been three years since the County Record Committee approved the policy allowing permanent records to be kept in electronic format. The Local Government Committee approved a nearly identical policy for municipalities in early 2019. Three counties that have begun implementation will discuss their approach and challenges.
- Facilitator: David Carmicheal, Pennsylvania State Archivist
- Adams County:Phillip Walter, Chief Information Officer
- Berks County: Fred Sheeler, Recorder of Deeds
- Chester County: Jacob Goodridge, Records Services Manager